Definition: A preposition is a word placed before a noun or a pronoun to show in what relation the person or thing denoted by it stands in regard to something else.
A preposition can be defined as a word that shows a relation between a noun or a pronoun with some other words in a sentence.
This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used. You can also visit the most accurate and elaborate NCERT Solutions for Class 6 English. Every question of the textbook has been answered here.
Preposition Exercises for Class 6 CBSE With Answers Pdf
- I shall wait at the school gate.
- The book is on the table.
- He pointed to the tree.
|I am in the pool.||We will meet after swimming lessons||I am getting out of the pool|
The preposition can be studied in the following parts.
- Prepositions for time
- Prepositions for place
- Prepositions for direction
1. Prepositions for time
We use many different prepositions for talking about time. Here we are looking at: in, on, at, by, during and for –
|In||Months, Seasons, Years, Centuries, Times of day, Longer periods of time||In January/ in April, in spring/ in winter, in 1984 / in 2015, in the 20th century, in the morning / in the evening, in the past / in the 1990s / in the holidays|
|At||Clock times, Festivals, Exceptions||at 7.30 a.m. / at 5 o’clock, at Christmas / at Easter, at night / at the weekend|
|On||Days of the week, Days + parts of days, Dates, Special days||On Monday, On Tuesday afternoon / on Saturday mornings, on November 22nd, On my birthday on New Year’s Eve|
|By||Ultimate time||by 14th February., by Monday|
|For||Time Phrase||for two years, for an hour|
|During||Specific period||during the vacation, during the day|
|around||in a circle, Near||Around the table, around 50 euros|
2. Prepositions for place
Prepositions can be used to show where something is located place. Here we are looking at: in, at, on, between, among, into, and besides.
|In||Countries, cities, town, and place having some boundary||In Nottingham/ in Germany, in park street in hall/ in school, in the mirror, in the car, in the picture, in the world.|
|At||shows an exact position or particular place||at the entrance, at the bus stop, at the table, at a concert, at the party, at university, at work.|
|On||things, something is in a position above something else and touching it.||on the wall, on the River cam, on the desk, on his face, on the left, on the first floor, on trains/ on the bus / on a plane, on TV/ on the radio|
|Between||Space which separates two places, people or objects||Meeting between the directors, between the children, between Chile and Argentina|
|Among||Used for more than two persons or things||Among all the students, among these boys|
|Into||Movement of someone from one position or place to another||Into the river, into the castle, into the garden|
|besides||Stands for in addition to||Besides his mother, besides the self|
|across||from one side to the other||across the road|
|down||from higher to lower||down the blind.|
|over||on the surface of||The plane flew over the Atlantic. She put a sheet over the furniture.|
|under||beneath, below||Water flows under the bridge.|
3. Preposition for direction
Some preposition shows where something is going. They are called prepositions of direction.
- She went to the library.
- He ran away when he felt that someone was coming towards him.
- The dog is jumping through the loop.
- I need to go out tonight.
- I ordered a sandwich with a drink.
- We sat next to each other.
Preposition Exercises Practice Examples for Class 6 CBSE
Read the statements given below and tick the correct option:
They went to the Agra bus.
She jumped the river.
Compare Gandhi Karl Marx.
Ram was engrossed …. his studies.
I presented him ….a beautiful watch.
What are doing … coming Sunday?
I will finish this work . today evening.
People have siesta lunchtime.
I’ll arrive sometime …. 8 and 9 am;
(a) next to
They should be ready to go 20 minutes.
Fill in the blanks with appropriate prepositions.
1. He was accused ____________ theft. (for, of, to)
2. Look ____________ the flowers. (at, in, up)
3. Are you a teacher ____________ this school? (in, on, with)
4. Compare your answers ____________ your partner. (after, between, with)
5. I come ____________ a big family. (with, from, into)
6. He tried to open the tin ____________ a knife. (up, to , with)
7. Palak’s birthday is ____________ 15 January. (in, on, at)
8. He should be here ____________ now. (to, by, for)
9. Gandhiji lived ____________ the English rule. (during, at, before)
10. I was born ____________ October 16th. (in, at, on)
Correct the following sentences:
1. Leena sat down Sid and Anuj.
2. The restaurant is at the river.
3. She pulled on the blind.
4. I bought this book to you.
5. The pen is up the drawer.
6. The plate is at the table.
7. She put a sheet for the furniture.
8. The Seine flows between Paris.
9. On the way of the station.
10. I put an egg at the kitchen table.
1. Leena sat between Sid and Anuj.
2. The restaurant is by the river.
3. She pulled down the blind.
4. I bought this book for you.
5. The pen is in the drawer.
6. The plate is on the table.
7. She put a sheet over the furniture.
8. The Seine flows through Paris.
9. On the way to the station.
10. I put an egg on the kitchen table.
Fill in the blanks with the suitable prepositions.
1. She always read newspapers the morning.
2. There is a party t the club house.
3. The garbage truck comes Wednesday.
4. Walter is not mean; he is just very careful money.
5. Do you get well your sister?
6. Do you go – bed late every night?
7. The Class start 15:30 the afternoon.
8. I wish my daughter was interested learning foreign languages.
5. on, with
7. at, in
Fill in the blanks below the boxes with suitable prepositions.
Preposition Exercises Practice Examples for Class 6 CBSE
Identify all prepositions in the following sentences:
After flying for many hours, we finally got off the airplane. We walked out the exit and went to the baggage claim area. There were hundreds of different bags on the conveyor belt. I almost picked up the wrong one because it looked like mine.
Complete with at, in, on
(i) ___ night
(ii) ___ 1996
(iii) ___ Christmas Day
(iv) ___ Tuesday
(v) ___ the 15th century
(vi) ___ 17.30
(vii) ___ May
(viii) ___ weekends
(ix) ___ the morning
(x) ___ summer
Choose the correct option
1. (a) We often go at holiday in summer
(b) We often go on holiday to summer
(c) We often go on holiday in summer
(d) We often go on holiday at summer
2. (a) James isn’t here in the moment
(b) James isn’t here to the moment
(c) James isn’t here on the moment
(d) James isn’t here at the moment
3. (a) Are you coming on Tuesday morning?
(b) Are you coming at Tuesday morning?
(c) Are you coming in Tuesday morning?
(d) Are you coming to Tuesday morning?
4. (a) I play tennis in the weekend
(b) I play tennis at the weekend
(c) I play tennis on the weekend
(d) I play tennis to the weekend
5. (a) We have lunch in midday.
(b) We have lunch at midday.
(c) We have lunch on midday.
(d) We have lunch to midday.
Fill in the blanks using these prepositions: (at, with, for, in, to)
1. I went the play my friend last night.
2. I bought my son a bicycle his birthday.
3. My sister sat with my mom the bus.
4. The doctor will see you two o’ clock.