NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science History Chapter 1 How, When and Where
These Solutions are part of NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science.Here we have given NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science History Chapter 1 How, When and Where
State whether True or False:
(a) James Mill divided Indian history into three periods—Hindu, Muslim, Christian.
(b) Official documents help us to understand what the people of the country think.
(c) The British thought surveys were important for effective administration.
What is the problem with the periodisation of Indian history that James Mill offers ?
Problem with the periodisation of Indian history:
- It is difficult to refer to any period of history on the basis of faith of ruler. Many faiths co-exist at a particular time.
- More so, during Ancient period, not all the rulers followed same faith.
Why did the British preserve official documents?
The British preserved documents because of the following reasons:
- Any information or proof of any decision can be read/used from the preserved documents.
- The preserved documents reveal the progress made by country in the past.
- One can study the notes and reports which were prepared in the past
- Their copies may be made and used in modern times.
- Documents were helpful in understanding social, economical and history of that times.
How will the information historians get from old newspapers be different from that found in police reports?
The information which, the historians get from old newspapers is different from that found in police reports because of the following reasons:
- Police records are true and pragmatic.
- Information printed in newspapers are affected by the views and thinking of the correspondents, news editors, etc.
Can you think of examples of surveys in your world today ? Think about how toy companies get information about what young people enjoy playing with or how the government finds out about the number of young people in school. What can a historian derive from such surveys? Answer to be attempted by the students.
Surveys are done by government and private companies.
- on demographic changes, employment, incomes, tastes, interests, possessions, etc.
- Manually or with use of technology.
- At different places like home, schools, institution, malls, etc.
Historians may get information about preferences, life style, demographic changes, political, social, economic life, etc.
Objective Type Questions
1.Match the following:
2. State whether True or False:
(1) Lawrence was a prominent Viceroy of India. (True)
(2) Curzon was a Governor General of India. (True)
(3) James Mill published a newspaper in 1817. (False)
(4) We need to divide history into different periods. (True)
(5) The British came to India to know about its great culture.(False)
(6) History deals with changes that occur over time. (True)
3. Fill in the blanks:
(1)The last Viceroy of British India was Lord Mountbatten
(2) James Rannel prepared the first map in 1782.
(3) James Mill divides Indian history into three periods.
(4) The British preserved all important letters and documents
(5) In Mill’s idea of history, the period before British rule was one of darkness.
MULTIPLE CHOICE QUESTIONS
Choose the correct answer:
1. Who was the last Viceroy of India?
(a) Lord Canning
(b) Lord Mountbatten
(d) Lord Wellesley
2. Medieval period was
(a) the old period of history
(b) the period associated with the growth of all the forces of modernity
(c) none of the above
3.The British thought surveys were important for
(a) writing history
(b) effective judgement
(c) effective administration
(d) none of these
4.The British preserve official documents because
(a) the preserved documents reveal the progress made by country in the past
(b) one can study the notes and reports which were prepared in the past
(c) their copies may be made and used in modern times
(d) all of the above
5. Which one of the sources do historians use in writing about the last 250 years of Indian history?
(а) Official records of the French administration
(b) Official records of the British administration
(c) Official records of the Church administration
(d) None of the above
6. Which of the following is NOT the period of division of Indian History by James Mill?
7. Which is NOT the source of describing history ?
(a) Diaries of people
(b) Conversation between two people
(c) Accounts of pilgrims and travellers
(d) Autobiographies of important personalities
8. The National Archives of* India came up in the
We hope the NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science History Chapter 1 How, When and Where, help you. If you have any query regarding NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science History Chapter 1 How, When and Where, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.