An adverb is a word or phrase that modifies the meaning of a verb, an adjective or another adverb. Adverbs generally give information about the manner, place, time, frequency, degree, and reason of the action.
An adverb is a word or phrase which modifies a verb, an adjective or another adverb.
This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used.
Adverb Exercises for Class 5 CBSE With Answers Pdf
Adverbs are words that modify a verb, and adjective or another adverb are known as adverbs:
- Neha sums quickly.
- This is a very sweet mango.
- Govind reads quite clearly.
Kinds of Adverbs:
- Some adverbs tell us how something happens. Like-quickly, slowly, softly, terribly, neatly, carefully are some adverbs of manner.
- Some adverbs answer the question where the action is done. Like-there, above and outside tell us where the action is done. These are called Adverbs of Place.
- Some adverbs answer the question when the action takes place. They are called Adverbs of Time. Like Late, early, yesterday, tomorrow are some adverbs of time.
- Some adverbs tell us how often or how frequently an action is done. They are called Adverbs of Frequency. Like-Twice, often, seldom, usually, everyday, never, always are some adverbs of frequency.
- Some adverbs tell us how much or to what extent an action is done. They are called Adverbs of Degree. Like-Very, quite, almost, too, enough, just, extremely are some adverbs of degree.
Adverb Exercises For Class 8 With Answers CBSE PDF
A. Read the passage given below and underline the adverbs.
Gautam ran quickly. He had never been so frightened. He screamed loudly and ran towards the garden. He always went there whenever he was frightened. He was so glad to reach the garden. He saw beautiful flowers all around him. Soon he forgot that he was frightened and played happily in the garden.
B. Fill in the blanks with appropriate adverbs.
1. The soldiers fought __________ in the battle. (Manner)
2. She is an __________ kind woman. (Degree)
3. Mohan is __________ ready to help the needy. (Frequency)
4. I went to a circus __________ with my friends. (Time)
5. My uncle is __________these days. (Place)
6. I have never seen such a funny movie __________ (Time)
7. We all had to stand __________ till the rain stopped. (Place)
8. My father is feeling __________ relaxed after taking the medicine. (Degree)
9. The teacher taught the lesson __________ so that the students could be thorough with it. (Frequency)
10. Radhika spoke __________to her friend. (Manner)
C. Fill in the blanks with appropriate adverbs.
1. It was raining __________ so we decided to go out.
2. Mohan __________ tells a lie.
3. We all ate the food __________because we had been hungry for __________ days.
4. This little boy __________ greets everyone
5. The old woman could not walk __________ as he was __________ old.
D. Read the letter that Harshit wrote to his friend Kamal. Use the adverbs given in the box.
fast – never – very – yesterday – always – nervously – loudly – lovingly – encouraging – happily
Hope you are fine. I am (a) __________thankful for your (b) __________ words. I was awarded the ‘Best Student Scholarship’ at the Annual Function. I heard my name being announced (C) __________ as I walked (d) __________ to the stage, my heart was beating (e) __________ My parents waved (f) __________ at me. My teacher, who has (g) __________ motivated me smiled (h) __________ at me. I have (i) __________ been so happy in my life. (j) __________ I made everyone proud.
Do write how you feel about your friend.
With lots of love
E. Select the appropriate word from the brackets after each sentence to fill in the blanks.
1. Radhika speaks ____________ (loudly, hardly)
2. You must work ____________ (seriously, already)
3. He looked ____________ after changing his clothes. (pretty, better)
4. There are ____________ players in the field. (no, any)
5. Ravi goes to the garden ____________ (daily, already)
6. Ashish is ____________ careless to pass the examination. (too, enough)
7. Jyoti has injured her foot so she is walking ____________ (sadly, slowly)
8. He has already shown you the book ____________ (always, twice)
9. I saw her at the bus stop ____________ (frequently, yesterday)
10. My aunt cooks ____________ (well, clearly)
F. Read the passage given below. There is one error in each line which has been underlined. Write the correct word in the space provided. The first one has been done as an example.
It had started raining greatly. heavily
Sandeep waited happily for the ____________
rain to stop. The phone rang one more. ____________
Manish had always called him ____________
earlier to ask ¡f the picnic had been ____________
cancelled. They all were full prepared ____________
and had waited excitement for the ____________
picnic. Sandeep’s parents would always allow ____________
him to go out in this weather. It was also more ____________
stormy. There were clouds there in the sky. ____________
He picked up the phone. It was Manish always ____________
this time. “Are we going?” “No,” said Sandeep sad ____________
“the picnic has been cancelled.” ____________
G. Select a suitable adverb from the box to complete the paragraph given below.
bravely, before, brightly, suddenly, quietly, clearly, smoothly, everywhere
The night was lit brightly by the moon. I laid (a) ____________ on my bed. I could see the clouds gliding (b) ____________ across the sky. There seemed to be peace ____________ I was about to sleep when (d) ____________ there was a painful cry. I heard it (e) ____________ I had never heard such a painful cry (f) ____________ I went to the window (g) ____________ to see what or who it was.