This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used.
Complex Sentences Exercises for Class 5 CBSE with Answers PDF
- A complex sentence has an independent clause and a dependent clause.
- An independent clause is a complete sentence that can stand on its own.
- A dependent clause is not a complete sentence for it cannot stand on its own.
- Dependent clauses start with (so, because, since, before, even though, after, although, wherever, while etc.) Example:
Read the picture story.
A. Answer the following questions as per the story.
1. Why does Sherry want to bake a cake? ____________
2. What does she forget while baking the cake? ____________
3. What does she decide to do? ____________
B. Read the sentence given below. Identify each as a complex or simple sentence.
- Because he played well, the boy is happy.
1. I love to read. ____________
2. She read a book. ____________
3. After the movie, we all went out for pizza. ____________
4. Until he shows up, we have to close the shop. ____________
5. Let’s all take a walk after dinner. ____________
6. Once I finished lunch, I saw the surprise. ____________
7. She had a fun birthday party. ____________
8. Wherever they are, it is far from here. ____________
Complex Sentences Exercises with Answers for Class 5 CBSE PDF
A. Read each sentence and underline the dependent clause and write the independent clause.
- For the first time, I successfully passed all my classes.
For the first time, I successfully passed all my classes.
1. In the morning, I went for a walk.
2. For the last time, I will take up fielding.
3. After the game, we went out for pizza.
4. Although I left, I did remember my roots.
5. Since he was not there, I was quite upset.
6. Wherever we are, it is the right place to be.
7. Even though I am tired, I will give it my shot.
8. Although we won, I was not satisfied with my performance.
9. While I was waiting, I saw a meteor overhead.
10. Before the movie, I went to the snack bar.
B. Write an independent clause to complete each complex sentence.
- Wherever you go,
Wherever you go, you will have friends.
1. Since I’m hungry, ___________
2. Although I’m late, ___________
3. Before the game, ___________
4. Since we were early, ___________
5. Because she is rich, ___________
C. Write a dependent clause to complete each complex sentence. Use connecting words (so, after, when, because, or since).
- ___________, he was still friends with him.
After twenty years, he was still friends with him.
1. ___________ -, we will have to go home.
2. ___________ -, we will have to wait in line.
3. ___________ the children are now hungry.
4. ___________ there was little left standing.