Definition: A noun is a part of speech that is used to name a person, place, thing, quality, or action. Examples: Mango, girl, boy, cat, etc. Any name given to a person, thing, animal or place is called a noun. Nouns are words used to refer to objects, places and living things. Some nouns also refer to feelings and emotions.
This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used.
Number Nouns Exercises for Class 5 CBSE With Answers PDF
- There are two types of nouns:Singular Noun and Plural Noun.
- Singular Noun: When we speak for one person or one thing, we use the noun in singular form. Single means one.
a. A man is smoking within the premises.
b. A group of cows is called herd.
c. Joy is what we want in our lives.
d. Church is where Christians worship.
e. This chair is made of plastic.
- In these sentences, the nouns man, group, joy, church and chair are in singular forms. Plural Nouns: When we speak for more than one person or one thing, we use the noun in plural form.
a. Few men are standing in the queue.
b. The groups of cows, coming back to their sheds, are not milch cows.
c. These chairs are made of plastic.
d. Children should be given proper guidance.
e. Keep the knives in a safe place.
- In these sentences, the words men, groups, chairs, children and knives are plural-nouns.
Focus on ‘Y’ endings.
- If in a noun, a vowel (a, e, i, o, u) comes before Y, just add ‘s’ to make its plural form. For example:Toy-Toys
- If in a noun, a consonant comes before Y, you change it to ‘i’ and add ‘es’. For example: Cry-Cries
Focus on ‘Ch’, ‘Sh’, ‘S’ and ‘X’endings.
- We add ‘es’ to singular nouns ending in ch, sh, s and x to make them plural. Singular – Plural
Singular – plural
Match – Matches
Box – Boxes
Brush – Brushes
Gas – Gases
Focus on ‘F’ or ‘Fe’ endings
- To make plural form of singular nouns that end with the letters ‘f’ or ‘fe’. we change the ‘f’ or ‘fe’ to ves.
Singular – Plural
Wife – Wives
Loaf – Loaves
Half – Halves
Thief – Thieves
Life – Lives
Wolf – Wolves
Shelf – Shelves
The plural form of some nouns is the same as the singular form.
- Singular – Plural
Sheep – Sheep (not sheeps)
Salmon – Salmon
Fish – Fish (not fishes)
Trout – Trout
Deer – Deer
Spacecraft – Spacecraft
Focus on ‘More Other Forms’. All nouns do not need as ‘s’ at the end to make them plural.
- Singular – Plural
Man – Men
Child – Children
Ox – Oxen
Foot – Feet
Tooth – Teeth
Woman – Women
Some nouns are always plural.
trousers – glasses – shorts – spectacles – jeans – goggles – pants – scissors – tights – binoculars – pajamas – pliers
Noun Number Worksheets for Class 5 with Answers Pdf
A. Write whether the underlined noun is singular or plural.
The children walked to the assembly. Plural Noun
1. The lake was quiet.
2. The kids went to school.
3. I enjoy taking a walk.
4. That food tasted good!
5. I play games on the tablet.
6. The dog barked.
7. The couple went to eat.
8. The lion roared.
9. The people talked.
10. The teacher smiled.
B. Write a plural noun to complete each sentence.
(a). Choose from the word bank below.
days – movies – balls – chickens
1. I went with my friends to the ________________
2. How many are there in a week? ________________
3. My R E. teacher handed out the ________________
4. I went to the zoo to feed the ________________
(b). Choose from the word bank below.
friends – students – glasses – dogs
1. I saw many ___________ at the dog park.
2. The ___________ walked to the assembly.
3. Ihadtowear ___________ to see well.
4. My ___________ came to my birthday party.
C. For each singular noun below, write its plural form. For each plural noun below, write its singular form. Example: chair-chairs, toys-toy.
- dog – __________
- home – __________
- boat – __________
- neighbourhoods – __________
- cats – __________
- pencil – __________
- table – __________
- bushes – __________
- tree – __________
- movies – __________
- babies – __________
- shoes – __________
- areas – __________
- colours – __________
- ball – __________
- cloud – __________
- bodies – __________
- star – __________
- restaurants – __________
- child – __________
- cafe – __________
- birds – __________
- book – __________
- bone – __________
D. Write whether the underlined nouns are singular or plural.
The five deer walked up to the man. Plural
1. The two cats went into the house to eat. __________
2. That woman has a cat. __________
3. All the students walked to the assembly. __________
4. Sheep live in flocks. __________
5. That dog is looking for food in the alley. __________
6. The two dogs are wandering around the park. __________
7. I caught three fish at the lake. __________
8. The school of fish swam deep under water. __________
E. Circle the correct plural form of each noun and write in the space provided.
My mom brought (chairs/chaires)to the party. Chairs
1. The (houses/homes) for sale were all over-priced. __________
2. The teacher reminded his students to bring their (penciles/pencils) to school every day. __________
3. There were a lot of (computer/computers) in the new lab. __________
4. She bought (camera/cameras)for all three of her sisters. __________
F. Circle the singular form of each noun that correctly fits the sentence below.
1. The (television/televisions) was difficult to turn on. __________
2. The (clocks/clock) showed that we were late to school. __________
3. The government/governments) has broken its promises. __________