This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used.
Past Participle Exercises for Class 4 CBSE with Answers PDF
- When we use -ed form of verb with has, have and had, it is called past participle.
- Irregular verbs also have participle forms. Example broken, driven, spoken, written.
- It can be used as an adjective. For example: cooked vegetables, feeling depressed
Read the picture story.
A. Answer the following questions from the story above.
1. What had happened to the painting? ___________________
2. Why were children gathered round the judges? ___________________
3. Why had friend given his prize? ___________________
B. Choose a verb for each sentence and write the past participle form for each of the following.
1. We ______________ Martin Luther King, Jr.’s birthday in January, (celebrate, irritate)
2. People ______________ home after school for the holiday, (visit, stay)
3. The students in our school ______________ about Dr. King before the holiday, (learn, earn)
4. We ______________ a program of events about Dr. King, (repair, prepare)
5. Today my class ______________ a play about his chailhood (Perform, inform)
6. James ______________ the lead in the show, (play, place)
7. He ______________ his lines before going on the stage, (prevent, practice)
8. He ______________ his Aunt Betty to come to the play, (sag, beg)
9. Our teacher, Mrs. Malhotra, ______________ us good luck before the play started, (wish, wash)
10. We all ______________ our best to make the show a success, (cry, try)
Past Participle Exercises with Answers for Class 4 CBSE PDF
A. Change the verbs in brackets into Past Participle.
1. ______________ umbrellas (forget)
2.______________ computers (steal)
3.______________ watches (repair)
4.______________ boys (confuse)
5. ______________ girls (disappoint)
6.______________ comics (swap)
7. ______________ queens (amuse)
8.______________ students (bore)
9.______________ fans (fascinate)
10. ______________ doctors (worry)
B. In the following exercise, all of the underlined verbs in the first sentence are irregular. First change the verbs to simple past tense and then to the past participle form of the verb.
Diana sings in the church choir.
Last year, Diana sang in the church choir.
She has sung in the church choir since she was 11 years old.
1. Eric takes piano lessons.
Eric ______________ piano lessons last year.
Eric has ______________ piano lessons for 10 year.
2. I know how to repair transmissions.
I ______________ how to repair transmissions when I was a teenager.
I have ______________ how to repair transmissions since I was 13 years old.
3. Tina drives to school every day.
Tina ______________ to school every day last week.
Tina has ______________ to school ever since she was a freshman.
4. My sister regularly breaks promises.
She ______________ the promise she made to me yesterday.
She has ______________ many promises to me over the years.
5. I write many essays for my history class.
Last week, I ______________ a ten-page paper about Columbus.
I have ______________ five essays since the semester began.
C. Choose the correct past participle adjective.
1. My nephew was ______________ (amused/amusing) by the clown.
2. I thought her idea was absolutely ______________ (fascinated/fascinating)
3. The travellers were ______________ (exhausting/exhausted)
4. He was ______________ (frightened/frightening) when he saw the spider.
5. I was really ______________ (embarrassed/embarrassing) when I fell over in the street.
D. Write the past and past participle of the verbs listed below.
|Present tense||Past tense||Past participle|
E. Complete each sentence by writing the past participle of the verbs given in the brackets.
1. We rested after our visitors had ______________ (go)
2. He had ______________ of a good answer to the question, (think)
3. Several passengers were ______________ in the collision, (hurt)
4. David was ______________ as the captain of the school team, (choose)
5. This cane basket was ______________ by a Bahamian woman, (weave)
6. The convict was ______________ at 8 .00 in the morning, (hang)
7. Maggie made a cake after her mother had ______________ (show) her recipe.
8. The ice cream had ______________ so everyone had some. (freeze)