This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used.
Punctuation Exercises for Class 4 CBSE With Answers PDF
- Punctuation marks are signs such as periods, commas and question marks.
- We always use capital letters in the beginning of the sentence.
- Use of Period We put a period at the end of a statement. It is also known as Full Stop.
- Use of Question Mark (?): We use a question mark after a question.
- Use of Commas (,): We put a comma between items in a list, after yes and no, before or after the name of the person we
- are speaking to, before please and thank you, between the parts of a place name.
- Use of Exclamation (!): We put exclamations to express sudden emotion. Exclamations end with an exclamation point. (!)
- Use of Capital Letters: We use a capital letter to begin the names of people and places, after the initials in someone’s name, nationalities and languages also begin with a capital letter.
Punctuation Exercises for Grade 4 with Answers PDF
A. Read each sentence and add the correct punctuation mark(s). Then, write whether it is a statement, question or an exclamation. The first one has been done for you.
1. Are you feeling well today ? Question
2. Papa made homemade cookies _____ _____________
3. Hooray _____ Jimmy’s team won _____ _____________
4. When is your birthday _____ _____________
5. Is this your new television _____ _____________
6. Wow _____ Look at the fireworks _____ _____________
7. It rained all day long _____ _____________
8. Have you met my friend Julie _____ _____________
9. I want to have a bowl of soup for lunch _____ _____________
10. Can you make it to my birthday party _____ _____________
11. Ouch _____ _____________
12. Isn’t this a beautiful night _____ _____________
13. That is a very gentle pony _____ _____________
14. Happy New Year _____ _____________
15. Sara ate a slice of pizza for lunch _____ _____________
B. Unscramble the words to form a question and a statement. The first has been done for you. Remember to use punctuation wherever it is necessary.
1. my is favourite basketball sport
Question: Is basketball my favourite sport?
Statement: Basketball is my favourite sport.
2. holiday Christmas favourite is your
3. those are ready cookies eat to
4. the in yard there rabbit a is
5. very the hot is stove
C. Read each sentence. Put commas in the correct places in each sentence.
1. Even though the paint was still wet I couldn’t resist touching it.
2. After the fire burned out I went inside the house.
3. In English class we read Old Man and the Sea Dracula and Beowulf.
4. I watched television took the dog for a walk and drove to the store to get milk.
5. William Shakespeare a famous playwright wrote Macbeth and Hamlet.