Articles are used to indicate the number of singular nouns (a, an) and to specify which noun is being talked about (the). A and an are indefinite articles. They are used to refer to a singular countable noun in general or for the first time.
Basic English Grammar rules can be tricky. In this article, we’ll get you started with the basics of sentence structure, punctuation, parts of speech, and more.
Exercise on Articles for Class 4 CBSE with Answers PDF
There are two types of articles: the definite article (the) and the indefinite articles (a, an).
We usually use the indefinite article ‘a’ ‘an’, first to mention some person or thing. By doing that, we don’t have to be clear about which particular person or thing we are referring to. When we refer to the same person or the thing again, we use the definite article the to indicate the person or the thing already mentioned. There are times when we don’t have to use any one of the articles. Such a situation is called zero article,
- A and An are used to introduce a noun.
- We use A and An to talk about one person, animal or thing.
- We use ‘A’ when the first letter of the noun is a consonant.
- We use ‘An’ when the first letter of the noun is a vowel.
- The is used before special nouns.
- We use ‘A’ before u and eu when they sound like Y’. Examples: a uniform, a eucalyptus etc.
- We use An’ before the silent h’. Examples: an Honest, an Hour etc.
- The is also used before a noun that has been mentioned, introduced or discussed earlier.
- A and An are indefinite article but ‘The’ is a definite article.
- We use the before superlatives. Example: Mt. Everest is the highest peak.
- We use the before Ordinals, names of the river, lakes, oceans and mountains, names of holy books and newspaper, names of buildings and monuments. Examples: The First, The Himalayas, The Pacific, The Tribune, The Ramayana, The White House, The USA
Articles Exercises for Class 4 with Answers PDF
A. Fill in the blanks with suitable articles.
1. I just had __________ great idea.
2. Columbus was one of __________ first people to cross __________ Atlantic.
3. __________ British drink too much tea.
4. __________ Thames flows into North Sea.
5. Monika earns 25,000 rupees __________ month.
6. Dancing is __________ more interesting activity than reading.
7. As captain of __________ ship I have complete authority.
8. __________ people we met on holiday in __________ north of England came from __________ USA.
9. The burglar hit me on __________ back of my neck.
10. He was doing eighty miles __________ hour on __________ motorway.
B. Complete the following table with suitable articles.
1. __________ author of this book came to our school yesterday and gave us __________ lecture on __________ importance of reading good books for education.
2. When I woke up early in __________ morning, I saw __________ fine mist covering __________ hills and trees. But __________ hour later, __________ mist had disappeared, and __________ sun was shining brightly.
3. As he was going to school, he met with __________ accident. He received __________ bad bump on __________ head and was taken to __________ hospital in __________ ambulance.
4. __________ bus stopped at __________ bus-station. __________ old woman wearing __________ faded skirt and __________ old blouse got off __________ bus.
More about Articles Exercises for Class 4 CBSE with Answers
When we talk about something in general, not a particular thing, we use a noun without an article. We can also use plural nouns without an article. It is also termed as zero article in English Grammar.
- Frogs are my favourite animals.
- Children like playing games.
- Babies cry a lot.
- Glasses are things that you wear to correct your eyesight.
- Birds are animals that can fly.
- People enjoy watching television.
Nouns that don’t show quantity are normally used without ‘a’ or ‘an’. The article like ‘the’, however, may be used with nouns that don’t show quantity.
- I like sunshine.
- I sometimes have fruit for breakfast.
- You’ve got dirt on your face.
- A clock measures time.
- Add sugar in your tea to make it sweet.
Read the picture story.
A. Answer the following question as per the story.
1. What does the old shopkeeper leave at 8 am? _____________
2. What does the old shopkeeper worship? _____________
3. Who love to visit his shop? _____________
B. Cross out the article ‘the’ wherever necessary.
1. I seldom go to the cinema nowadays.
2. Some clothes are made of the cotton.
3. What time is the dinner?
4. Many Chinese in Hong Kong speak the English better than the Mandarin.
5. I have not forgotten about the headache last night.
6. The flies and mosquitoes are harmful insects.
7. Which colour do you prefer, the red or the green?
8. The honesty is the best policy.
9. I shall be reading the Economics and the History in college.
10. The Tokyo is a bigger city than the Jakarta.
Articles Paragraph Exercises with Answers Pdf for Class 4 CBSE
A. Read the following passage. Write the correct article in each blank space. If no article is needed, leave the space blank. The first one has been done for you.
John lives in an apartment with his mom, dad and sister Katy. _____________ apartment has three bedrooms, kitchen, bathroom and living room. John’s mom works in _____________ office and his dad stays at home and looks after _____________ apartment. He spends much of his time in _____________ kitchen, preparing meals. John and Katy help their dad with _____________ housework. John likes using _____________ vacuum cleaner and Katy likes to sweep _____________ floor. Dad gives John and Katy money when they help him. They usually spend their money on _____________ computer games!
B. Fill in the correct article (A, AN or THE) where necessary – or leave blank.
1. _____________ modern life is stressful.
2. What’s _____________ capital of your country?
3. _____________ doctor earns more than _____________ teacher.
4. Do you know who invented _____________ computer?
5. Have you seen _____________ newspaper? I can’t find it anywhere.
6. Is this _____________ first time you’ve stayed at _____________ Hilton?
7. Is the Nile _____________ longest river on _____________ Earth?
8. Several million visitors _____________ year are attracted to _____________ ski slopes of _____________ Alps.
9. I’ll meet you outside _____________ post office. I’ll be there in _____________ quarter or _____________ hour.
10. _____________ young people tend to think that _____________ life was more difficult in _____________ past.