NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Geography Chapter 2 Land, Soil, Water, Natural Vegetation and Wildlife Resources
These Solutions are part of NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science. Here we have given. NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Geography Land, Soil, Water, Natural Vegetation and Wildlife Resources
1. Answer the following questions.
Which are the two main climatic factors responsible for soil formation?
Temperature and rainfall
Write any two reasons for land degradation today.
Reasons for land degradation (Any two):
- Soil erosion
- Soil depletion
- Overuse of chemical fertilisers and pesticides
Why is land considered an important resource?
Land is considered as an important resource because all the activities of human beings are carried out on land.
Name any two steps that government has taken to conserve plants and animals.
Steps taken by government to conserve plants and animals (Any two):
- Setting up of national parks, wildlife sanctuaries, biosphere reserves.
- Conservation of creeks, lakes and wetlands.
- Ban on killing, hunting and poaching.
- Social forestry and Vanamohatasava.
Suggest three ways to conserve water.
Ways to conserve water (Any three):
- Forest and other vegetation cover.
- Water harvesting.
- Canals to be properly lined.
- Use of sprinklers in irrigation.
- Drip or trickle methods of irrigation in dry areas.
Tick the correct answer
1. Which one of the following is NOT a factor of soil formation?
(b) soil texture
(c) organic matter
2. Which one of the following methods is most appropriate to check soil erosion on steep slopes?
(a) shelter belts
(c) terrace cultivation
3. Which one of the following is NOT in favour of the conservation of nature?
(a) switch off the bulb when not in use.
(b) close the tap immediately after using.
(c) dispose polypacks after shopping.
Match the followings.
State whether the given statement is True or False. If true, write the reasons.
(1) Ganga-Brahmaputra plain of India is an overpopulated region.True
Reasons: Fertile land—agriculture main occupation, easily available job opportunities, developed agriculture based industries, developed means of transport and communication.
(2) Water availability per person in India is declining. True
Reasons: Due to overuse, pollution and increasing population.
(3) Rows of trees planted in the coastal areas to check the wind movement is called t intercropping. False.
(4) Human interference and changes of climate can maintain the ecosystem. False.
Discuss some more reasons which are responsible for changes of land use pattern. Has your place undergone any change in the land use pattern in recent years?
Reasons responsible for change of land use pattern.
- People and their demands are ever growing.
- The availability of land is limited.
- The quality of land also differs from place to place.
- People started encroaching common lands to build up commercial areas, housing complexes in the urban areas and to expand agricultural land in rural areas.
- Today vast changes in the land use pattern also reflect the cultural changes in our society.
- Expansion of agriculture and constructional activities have caused these problems.
Based on the table you have just completed, draw a picture of land use patterns that you foresee in your neighbourhood after 20 years. Why do you think that land use patterns change over the years
We hope the We hope the NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Geography Chapter 2 Land, Soil, Water, Natural Vegetation and Wildlife Resources, help you. If you have any query regarding . NCERT Solutions for Class 8 Social Science Geography Chapter 2 Land, Soil, Water, Natural Vegetation and Wildlife Resources, drop a comment below and we will get back to you at the earliest.