This grammar section explains English Grammar in a clear and simple way. There are example sentences to show how the language is used.
Doing Words Worksheet Exercises for Class 2 Examples with Answers CBSE PDF
- The words which show what someone or something is doing are called action words.
- Action words are also called doing words.
- Examples: eat, sleep, dance, sing, run, fly, clap, touch, walk, play etc. Is, Am, Are are the different ways of saying be.
- ‘Is’ is used with ‘he’, ‘she’ ‘it’, ‘Am’ is used with ‘I’ naming word and ‘Are’ is used with ‘we’, ‘you’, ‘they’. We use ‘Has’ and
- ‘Have’ to show that a thing belongs to someone.
- We use ‘Have’ with ‘T’, ‘we’ and ‘they’. Examples: I have, We have, They have.
- ‘Has’ is used for one.
- Have’ is used for more than one.
A. Fill in the blanks with Is/Am/Are.
1. My father ____________ a taxi driver.
2. She ____________ your music teacher.
3. My grandparents ____________ old.
4.1 ____________ hungry.
5. I and Tarun ____________ sick.
6. We ____________ good friends.
7. It ____________ cool in spring.
8. The apples ____________ red.
9. My school bag ____________ green.
10. Rita ____________ my friend.
B. Look at the pictures and fill in the blanks with verbs given in the box.
punch, taste, walk, catch, see, hear, eat, smell
You ____________ with your tongue. You ____________ with your fist.
You ____________ with your hands. You ____________ with your nose.
You ____________ with your ears. You ____________ with your legs.
You ____________ with your eyes. You ____________ with your mouth.
C. Fill in the blanks with ‘has’ or ‘have’.
1. Sharks ____________ sharp teeth.
2. Insects ____________ six legs.
3. The parrot ____________ wings.
4. Birds ____________ feathers.
D. Tick the correct circle in each sentence.
1. AWhaleis ( ) A Whale are – a very big animal.
2. Your nails is ( ) Your nails are – too long.
3. The girls is ( ) The girls are – playing.
4. An apple is ( ) An apple are – good to eat.
5. Laxmi is ( ) Laxmi are – a tall girl.
6. Mita and Rita is ( ) Mita and Rita are – good friends.
Is Am Are Ing Worksheets for Grade 2 CBSE PDF
- To talk about actions in the present, or things that are still going on presently, we use a doing word +ing.
- ‘Is’, ‘Am’, ‘are’ are used as helping words.
Read the picture story.
Nancy is visiting her grandparents. At this moment, she is sitting on her grandfather’s knee. She is listening to a story. She loves her grandfather’s stone.
Mr. Gopal is Nancy’s grandfather. He ¡s holding her hands. They are sitting in the living room. Right now, he ¡s telling her a story. They enjoy each other’s company.
Mrs. Gopal is Nancy’s grandmother. She is standing in the kitchen and baking cookies for Nancy and her grandfather. She ¡s also listening to the story.
A. Answer the following questions.
1. Who is Nancy visiting today? _____________
2. Where are Mr. Gopal and his granddaughter sitting? _____________
3. What is Mrs. Gopal doing? _____________
B. Fill in each blank with the doing word +ing from the story above.
Doing Words Worksheets for Grade 2 with Answers CBSE PDF
A. Add ‘ing’ to the following doing words.
B. Fill in the blanks with the correct doing word and helping word.
1. They _____________ the roller-coaster ride. (enjoy)
2. Jiya _____________ her hair. (wash)
3. It _____________ dark. (get)
4. The dentist _____________ Suman’s teeth. (examine)
5. The train _____________ through the tunnel. (pass)
C. Match the pictures with the correct actions and tick the right box.
1. Friends are hugging. [ ]
Nancy is hanging posters. [ ]
The clown is performing. [ ]
2. Lata is walking to school. [ ]
Payal is blowing a bubble. [ ]
A dog is hopping. [ ]
3. Rita ¡s standing in a queue. [ ]
Meena is listening to music. [ ]
The ball is hitting his head. [ ]
4. The ducks are quacking.
Rahul is collecting the leaves.
Bella is baking a yummy cake.
5. Han is tying his shoelaces. [ ]
Reena is painting a picture. [ ]
Rahul is kissing her mother. [ ]
6. Raju is shutting the door. [ ]
Sohan is rushing to work. [ ]
Mita is working hard. [ ]
More About the Doing Words for Class 2 CBSE PDF
- Doing words also talk about something that happened in the past.
- Here doing words end with -ed or -d.
- Walk- walked, Sail- sailed, Dance- danced, Chase- chased.
- Sometimes we change the spelling of the doing word.
- Sing-Sang, Fly-Flew, Sit-Sat, Write-Wrote
- Sometimes we change the doing word completely.
- Go-Went, Tell-Told, Teach-Taught, Buy-Bought, Eat-Ate, Do-Did Sometimes we do not change the doing word.
- Burst-Burst, Cut-Cut, Hit-Hit
Read the picture story.
Last week, Bunny baked a cake for Lilly’s birthday party. Lilly wanted a strawberry cake with pink frosting.
First, Bunny mixed the ingredients in a big bowl and baked the cake for 20 minutes. He prepared the pink frosting. Lastly, he wrote Lilly’s name on top with white frosting. Last he put seven candles on the cake.
On Sunday, Bunny surprised Lilly with the strawberry cake. Lilly loved her cake! Lilly got many gifts on her birthday. But Lilly said that the cake was the best gift of them all!
A. Answer the following questions from the story above.
1. What did Bunny do for Lilly’s birthday party?
2. What did Bunny prepare?
3. What did Lilly like best among her birthday gifts?
B. Add -ed to the following doing words.
Doing Words Worksheet Exercises with Answers for Class 2 CBSE PDF
A. Complete each sentence by adding -ed to the doing words given in the brackets.
1. My dad (craft) _____________ a boat.
2. He (mow) _____________ the grass.
3. I (watch) _____________ television in the morning.
4. Sameer (pick) _____________ up the journal today.
5. We (serve) _____________ lunch at 12.30.
6. Grandma (bake) _____________ the best cookies.
7. He (paint) _____________ the house.
8. Sarika (cook) _____________ the breakfast.
9. Pawan (play) _____________ the piano at the concert.
10. I _____________ (open) my book yesterday.
B. Circle the doing word with -ed in the following passage.
I lived in a tent. I washed and bathed in a stream. I cooked my own food. I watched cute little rabbits playing near my tent. I walked through the forest. I climbed up to the top of a hill. There I collected some rare flowers. I dried them and pasted them in my flower book. I enjoyed a lot.
C. Change all the doing words to show that the things happened in the past. Rewrite the sentences in the blanks.
1. She wants to wear a new frock. _____________
2. Anju sings beautifully. _____________
3. They try to break into the house. _____________
4. We write in our notebooks. _____________
5. I go to the playground. _____________
6. We play hide and seek. _____________
7. He seems to be angry. _____________
8. You know the truth. _____________
9. Sanjay shouts for help. _____________
10. It starts raining heavily. _____________
Was Were Worksheets for Class 2 CBSE PDF
- The verbs was and were are also forms of the verb be.
- We use was and were to show that the events/actions happened in the past.
- We use Was with he, she and it.
- We use Were with we, you, and they.
- Past here stands for yesterday, last night, last week, last month, last year.
Read the picture story.
A. Answer the following questions from the story given above.
1. What did the children do in the snowfall? _____________
2. What did the people wear in Manali? _____________
3. Was the hotel room cold or warm? _____________
B. Fill in the blanks with ‘was’ or ‘were’.
a holiday yesterday. The school _____________ closed and the shops closed. We _____________ at home. It _____________ fun.
Was Were Worksheets With Answers for Class 2 CBSE PDF
A. Fill in the blanks with ‘was’ or ‘were’.
1. We _____________ the champions last year.
2. Where is Jatin? He _____________ here just now.
3. Mom and dad _____________ on vacation last week.
4. The weather _____________ fine this morning.
5. There _____________ a lot of people at our party yesterday.
6. There _____________ a small lake here many years ago.
7. He _____________ sick yesterday.
8. Don’t blame him. It _____________ my mistake.
B. Write was or were in the blank spaces in the following passage.
It _____________ a beautiful day and there _____________ not a cloud in the sky. Mom, dad and I _____________ in the garden. Dad _____________ in the vegetable garden planting some seeds and mom and I _____________ busy with other jobs. The sun _____________ hot and soon I _____________ feeling very tired. Mom and dad _____________ not tired at all. They went on working for a long time. I _____________ glad when it _____________ time to go inside and have a drink.
Had Worksheets for Class 2 CBSE PDF
- Had is also followed by naming words.
- Had is used to show that something belonged to someone or some other thing in the past.
- We use Had to say what we ate or drank.
- We use Had for things that happened to people or affected them in the past.
- We use had when we talking about wishes. I wish I had a new bike.
Read the picture story.
Last night, Mona and Sonu danced in a competition. They had practiced for 6 months before they danced in the corn petition. They were very good.
Mona and Sonu’s friends were ¡n the audience. Before that night, they had never seen Mona and Sonu’s dance.
After everyone had danced, the judges announced the winners. Mona and Sonu won! They were the best dancers ¡n the competition. Mona was glad they had practiced a lot.
A. Answer the following questions.
1. What did Mona and Sonu do in the competition?
2. Who were present in the audience?
3. What did the judges announce at the end of the competition?
Had Worksheets With Answers for Class 2 CBSE PDF
A. Use – ed and had to complete the following sentences.
1. When their mother _____________ (come) home last night, the children _____________ (eat) their dinner.
2. Yesterday I _____________ (see) a woman who _____________ (be) at school with my grandfather. Isn’t it strange?
3. It started to rain and I _____________ (remember) that I _____________ (forget) to close my bedroom window.
4. I _____________ (find) a book that I never _____________ (read).
B. Fill in the blanks using ‘Had’ and ‘-ed’ at the end of the doing verbs.
1. When I arrived at the cinema, the film _____________ (start).
2. She _____________ (live) in China before she went to Thailand.
3. After they _____________ (eat) the shellfish, they began to feel sick.
4. If you _____________ (listen) to me, you would have got the job.
5. After we _____________ (finish) dinner, we went out.